CATALYST youth (for teens grades 6-12) meets at Arlington Woods Church (225 McClellan Road) on Friday nights from September-June. We also do some special events throughout the summer.
While CATALYST officially runs from 7-9pm, we have a drop-in available from 6:30-7pm for teens who want to come earlier to hang out, chat, play board games, or use our amazing games tables (pool, ping-pong, foosball, and air hockey).
Where is CATALYST taking place?
CATALYST takes place in our Youth Centre (the Creekside Room at the church) on Fridays! Teens should arrive and get picked up at the Youth Centre entrance at the opposite side of the building as our main entrance. We also use our Gym (Evergreen Hall) for sports and games. Dodgeball is a group favourite! When teens arrive, they should sign-in by checking their name under the correct date on our attendance sheet and putting a nametag on.
What will an average youth night look like?
From 6:30-7pm the Creekside Room is open for teens to drop-in, hangout and chat with their friends over board games and our games tables (we have foosball, ping-pong, air hockey and a pool table). During this time, we'll have our CATALYST band practice as well.
CATALYST then begins at 7pm with a fun group game! After that, we sing some worship songs together with our CATALYST band, and then Pastor Ben will give a Bible-based talk. Next, we'll split into smaller groups for a chance for some discussion and to share highs/lows from the week and prayer requests.
From 8:30pm-8:55pm we'll have free time for teens to use the games tables, board games, or to do some more active sports/games in our gym area (the Evergreen Hall).
At 8:55pm we'll ask your teens to help us clean up the youth centre and put things away. At 9pm, parents can pick up their teens at the CATALYST entrance.
If you have any questions about CATALYST in-person at Arlington Woods, contact Pastor Ben at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some CATALYST youth pro tips:
1) Always check your email inbox before you leave home for CATALYST just in case we have a last minute cancellation.
2) Bring a pair of slippers or running shoes to change into (if you can) so that the floor in the youth centre doesn't get soaked during the winter months!
3) Use the Creekside Room youth entrance (at the other side of the building) if possible. Sometimes the main entrance is locked if there's no other group using the upstairs part of our building.
4) Bring a buck or two to put in our youth offering! At the end of the year, we'll vote on a mission project to give towards!
DEEPER ROOTS is a once-a-month small group for teens in grades 7-12 that takes place on Sunday mornings. When the kids are dismissed during the service for KIDZONE, the teens can head down to the Creekside Room (Youth Centre). The purpose of this group is to see our teens deepen their faith roots, not just to know ABOUT God, but to know Him and His heart.
- Jump In (fun opening activity/ice breaker)
- Munch Time (Snacks)
- Dig and Discuss
- Pray for each other
- Roots Monthly Challenge and Teen Library time
Our upcoming DEEPER ROOTS dates for 2024 are January 21, February 25, March 17, April 21, May 12, and June 16.
For more information, contact Pastor Ben at email@example.com.
If your teen is planning on joining us regularly, please register them! Click HERE to register! (You can also register your kids for KIDZONE (our Sunday morning kids program) on the same form.
Parents, we want to assure you that only authorized leaders who have been trained/screened through Plan to Protect (our church's abuse prevention and protection policy) and have a police check will be working with your teens.
Now is a great time to establish a bit of a routine where you spend time growing in your faith. The best way to do this is to spend a few minutes a day in prayer (simply expressing thanks to God and talking to him about your life), spend a few minutes a day reading from the Bible (using a devotional (devo) is an easy way to do this), and listening to some worship music.
This is how you use a daily devo:
1. Read the Bible passage that's highlighted for that day (some apps/sites will send you to a Bible webpage to read it if you click on the passage). While reading, try to stay engaged and think about what it's saying.
2. Read the devotional. Usually this is a story or some thoughts based on that Bible verse.
3. Think about it. Some devotionals might have questions to answer or think about at the end. Some good questions to ask is, "What is this saying about God? About life? About me?"
4. Pray about what you read. How does it apply to your life? How does it challenge you or encourage you? Take a minute to talk to God about it.
Some great online devos to check out:
UNLOCKED DEVO APP OR MAGAZINE
This is such a great way to spend some time with God every day! It features daily Bible verses and great stories that help you understand what the Bible is saying! I highly recommend it! You can download the app for ANDROID, the app for iOS (Apple) or you can subscribe to get actual books sent to you-- the first year is free!
CULTIVATE DEVO APP
Have you ever wondered if the Bible is relevant for your life? Maybe you've tried to read it, but found it boring or even confusing. Maybe you want to read it consistently, but you struggle to make it a major part of your life. If this sounds like you, then the Cultivate App was created for you! It's available as a FREE app on ANDROID/Google Play or on iOS (Apple).
The story of Jesus in Manga form! We have physical copies available at CATALYST, but you can also download or share digital copies for FREE. Click here to download a free PDF of Manga Mission. Click here to download and read on your Apple Books app.
Plan to Protect:
Every one of our adult leaders and volunteers who work with children or teens has submitted a current police check and has been trained in our Plan to Protect policy.
Plan to Protect involves training to create a safe environment for children and teens and an overview of our policies and procedures on abuse prevention and protection.