Thank you so much to everyone who was a part of our 2019 Bike Rodeo! We had over 70 amazing volunteers from our church and community who were a part of our event this year!
Special thanks to Trend-Arlington Community Association for overseeing our bike road courses & bike decorating stations! Thanks to Tree Canada, Mayor Jim Watson and Councillor Keith Egli for being a part of our tree planting ceremony. Thanks to Cycling Ottawa for helping us with our bike course and bike tune-up station, to Notary Pro (Ottawa West/Nepean) for sponsoring our free popcorn booth, and to Sportchek Merivale for providing us with bells to install and give away. Also, thank you to our amazing first responders (Ottawa Paramedics, Ottawa Police, Ottawa Fire Services) for being such an important part of the Bike Rodeo every year!
While, the Bike Rodeo is meant to be a fun event for kids and families in our community, we also use this opportunity to support some kind of community need. Through our BBQ, bake sale, jewelry table as well as through donations that came in days after our event, we raised $3786.70!
About this year's fundraiser:
Every dollar that came in either by donation or through food, bake sale, or jewelry purchases on the day of the event went to support post-tornado revitalization to affected homes in our neighbourhood as well as at Knoxdale Public School! Arlington Woods Church, in partnership with Samaritan's Purse, Respond Ottawa, and with support from the City of Ottawa, will be removing tree stumps for free as well as doing yard cleanup, planting flowers, and beautifying the grounds of neighbours affected by the tornado this June (with funds raised from the Bike Rodeo). We will also be using those funds to help Knoxdale Public School restore their Nature Centre and grounds.
Arlington Woods Church & Trend-Arlington Community Association
BIKE RODEO 2019
Saturday, May 11th, 11am-3pm in the parking lot of Arlington Woods Church (225 McClellan Road)
Our 9th annual Bike Rodeo has grown to become one of the "don't miss" events in our community! This fun, outdoor, family event is held at Arlington Woods Church! There are no admission prices. All activities are free with the exception of the BBQ and Bake sale where EVERY DOLLAR goes to support a community need or organization. This year, we are supporting post-tornado revitalization of the grounds at Knoxdale Public School as well as to affected homes in our neighborhood (More details below). Spread the word in the community! It's going to be a blast! Kids, bring your bikes!
If you would be interested in volunteering at this great community event, please contact Ben at email@example.com.
We've had a little bit of experience with rain in the past. :) If the weather forecast calls for a lot of rain, we'll transform the event into an indoor fun fair. In 2017, due to rain, we weren't able to have a bike road course or the bike check-ups outside, but inside we had the bouncy castle and HUGE inflatable obstacle course, we had a lounge for people to enjoy the BBQ while watching family movies, we gave away two kids bikes with helmets, we had face painting, the family photo booth, a craft and activity table, LEGO tables, and all of our emergency responders were here with their vehicles! Needless to say, if it rains, this event is still going to be stellar!
This year's Bike Rodeo will feature:
(Stay tuned! We'll be adding more features as we get closer to the event date!)
- Bouncy castle
- A huge inflatable obstacle course
- Step inside emergency vehicles and get to know our first responders! The fire engine is scheduled to be here from 1-2pm (provided no emergencies take place). Ottawa Police and Ottawa Paramedics will be here throughout the event.
- Bike obstacle/road course for kids put on by Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA) and Cycling Ottawa
- Bike and road safety education with Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA) and Cycling Ottawa
- Awesome giveaways (including two bikes with helmets)
- Face-painting booth
- FREE Popcorn booth sponsored by Notary Pro Canada
- CHRI 99.1 Family Radio on site
- Councillor Keith Egli & his team
- Tree Canada will have a booth and will be offering several short educational workshops throughout the event (see below for more information)
- Bike decorating station (crafts and washable paint for bikes) run by Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA)
- Fundraiser BBQ, Bake Sale, and Jewelry Table to support post-tornado revitalization of our neighbourhood and Knoxdale Public School (see below for more details).
- Tree planting ceremony on the church property featuring Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson at 12pm
- Free bike tune-up booth for kids featuring helmet fitting, adjust seat height and tire air pressure and installing FREE bells to children who need one (while supplies last) courtesy of Cycling Ottawa and SportChek.
Tree Canada at the Bike Rodeo:
We are excited that Tree Canada will be with us at this year's Bike Rodeo. Tree Canada's #OperationReLeaf Ottawa-Gatineau in collaboration with the City of Ottawa and the Ville de Gatineau wants to provide funding to private land owners who wish to replace trees lost in the Sept. 21, 2018 tornado. Many have already applied, but if you missed that opportunity, their plan is to open applications again in the fall. For more information on this grant funding, please visit their website!
Aside from having a booth at the Bike Rodeo, Tree Canada will be conducting several short workshops during the event. Both of the below workshops (about 20 minutes long) will run at 1pm and 1:30pm.
1) How to plant a tree and ensure its survival. A demonstration on tree care (outdoors).
2) #OperationReLeaf Ottawa/Gatineau tree grants-What you need to know (indoors).
Our Bike Giveaways:
At the event, kids can enter to win one of two bikes with helmets. You can enter your child for the bike size that works for them (Bikes will be displayed on site and we will post pictures here in the next few days). No bike exchanges can be made but helmets can be exchanged at Sportchek. The bike they enter for is the bike they have a chance to take home!