Our current plan is to go ahead with the Bike Rodeo on May 9th as usual! Of course, we will be watching what things look like in the City closely, and we will follow any advisory that Public Health or the City of Ottawa issues. At this point, we simply ask that you stay home if you're feeling sick.
Thank you so much to everyone who was a part of our 2019 Bike Rodeo! We had over 70 amazing volunteers from our church and community who were a part of our event this year!
Special thanks to Trend-Arlington Community Association for overseeing our bike road courses & bike decorating stations! Thanks to Tree Canada, Mayor Jim Watson and Councillor Keith Egli for being a part of our tree planting ceremony. Thanks to Cycling Ottawa for helping us with our bike course and bike tune-up station, to Notary Pro (Ottawa West/Nepean) for sponsoring our free popcorn booth, and to Sportchek Merivale for providing us with bells to install and give away. Also, thank you to our amazing first responders (Ottawa Paramedics, Ottawa Police, Ottawa Fire Services) for being such an important part of the Bike Rodeo every year!
While, the Bike Rodeo is meant to be a fun event for kids and families in our community, we also use this opportunity to support some kind of community need or helping organization. In 2019, through our BBQ, bake sale, jewelry table, as well as through donations that came in during the event, we raised $3786.70 in 2019 to fund post-tornado revitalization initiatives in our neighbourhood and at Knoxdale Public School. This included yard cleanup, providing flowers for properties, supporting the free tree stump removal by Samaritan's Purse, and helping to rebuild the nature centre at Knoxdale Public School.
About this year's fundraiser:
Every dollar that comes in either by donation or through food, bake sale, or jewelry purchases on the day of the event goes to support a community need or helping organization. Stay tuned for details about what we'll be supporting through our 10TH ANNUAL BIKE RODEO coming up on Saturday, May 9, 2020 from 11am-3pm
Arlington Woods Church & Trend-Arlington Community Association
BIKE RODEO 2020
Saturday, May 9th, 11am-3pm in the parking lot of Arlington Woods Church (225 McClellan Road)
Our 10th annual Bike Rodeo has grown to become one of the "don't miss" events in our community! This fun, outdoor, family event is held at Arlington Woods Church! There are no admission prices. All activities are free with the exception of the BBQ and Bake sale where EVERY DOLLAR goes to support a community need or organization. Spread the word in the community! It's going to be a blast! Kids, bring your bikes!
If you would be interested in volunteering at this great community event, please contact Ben at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We've had a little bit of experience with rain in the past. :) If there are light sprinkles, we'll plan to continue with the event, BUT in the event of a torrential downpour, this year's event would be cancelled. In past years, if it rained, we were able to use the inside of the church building to create a fun fair (including moving the bouncy castle and inflatable obstacle course indoors), but due to repairs and renovations to our building from the tornado, we're unable to move things indoors this year. Let's hope for a beautiful, sunny day!
This year's Bike Rodeo will feature:
(Stay tuned! We'll be adding more features as we get closer to the event date!)
- Bouncy castle
- A huge inflatable obstacle course
- Step inside emergency vehicles and get to know our first responders! The fire engine is scheduled to be here from 1-2pm (provided no emergencies take place). Ottawa Police and Ottawa Paramedics will be here throughout the event.
- Bike obstacle/road course for kids put on by Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA) and Cycling Ottawa
- Bike and road safety education with Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA) and Cycling Ottawa
- Awesome giveaways (including two bikes with helmets)
- Face-painting booth
- FREE Popcorn booth
- CHRI 99.1 Family Radio on site
- Councillor Keith Egli & his team
- Bike decorating station (crafts and washable paint for bikes) run by Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA)
- Fundraiser BBQ, Bake Sale, and Jewelry Table to support a community need or helping organization (stay tuned for details!)
- Free bike tune-up booth for kids featuring helmet fitting, adjust seat height and tire air pressure and installing FREE bells to children who need one (while supplies last) courtesy of Cycling Ottawa and SportChek.
Our Bike Giveaways:
At the event, kids can enter to win one of two bikes with helmets. You can enter your child for the bike size that works for them (Bikes will be displayed on site and we will post pictures here as we lead up to the event). No bike exchanges can be made but helmets can be exchanged at Sportchek. The bike they enter for is the bike they have a chance to take home!