Thank you everyone for making our 2022 Bike Rodeo such a success! While we still have a bit of money from the event trickling in, our initial numbers are that we raised $2701 for FAMSAC Food Cupboard! We will post the final number to this page in the coming weeks.
Special thanks to all of our volunteers and community partners (Trend Arlington Community Association, Ottawa Public Health, re-Cycles, Cycling Ottawa, Sport Chek, Councillor Keith Egli, Ottawa Police Service, CHRI Radio, McCaig Farm, and Circus Delights)!
As a church, we are truly blessed to be a part of this community, and it's our honour and privledge to be able to host this amazing annual event and to support FAMSAC in the important work that they do, providing emergency food to neighbours in need.
JOIN US FOR OUR 10TH BIKE RODEO!
After a two-year hiatus because of COVID, we are looking forward to once again holding our annual Community Bike Rodeo on Saturday, May 14, 2022 from 11am-3pm in the parking lot of Arlington Woods Church (225 McClellan Road).
The Bike Rodeo is once again brought to you through the combined efforts of Arlington Woods Church and Trend-Arlington Community Association.
This year will be the 10th Bike Rodeo we've held in our community! There are no admission prices for this fun, outdoor, family event! All activities are free with the exception of the CHARITY BBQ (burgers, hot dogs, chips, pop) and CAFÉ (coffee, tea, treats) where EVERY DOLLAR goes to support FAMSAC! FAMSAC provides emergency food to people in our community!
Is there parking? There is no parking on-site, as we are encouraging people to walk or bike in. There are plently of places on side-streets where parking is available though.
Let your friends and neighbours know! It's going to be a blast! Kids, bring your bikes!
If you would be interested in volunteering at this great community event, please contact Ben at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year's Bike Rodeo will feature:
(Stay tuned! We'll be adding more features as we get closer to the event date!)
- A huge inflatable obstacle course and an inflatable slide from Circus Delights!
- A petting zoo brought to you by McCaig Farm! (Food for animals can be purchased food for $2/cup (or $5 for 3 cups) to feed the animals. Every dollar goes to FAMSAC!)
- Step inside emergency vehicles and get to know our first responders! We're excited that Ottawa Police services will be with us throughout the event and we have an Ottawa Fire truck coming from 1-2pm.
- Bike safety road course for kids run by Cycling Ottawa includes a slalum (winding course), practicing hand signals, and following road signs.
- Bike obstacle course for older kids with ramps and inclines run by Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA).
- Enter into a draw to win one of two brand new bikes! (A 16" bike and a 20" bike) or a package of four tickets to see the Ottawa Red Blacks play the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Friday, June 17th at 7:30pm. (see below for details).
- Hand-painting booth (due to pandemic, we're painting hands this year instead of faces)
- Popcorn booth
- CHRI 99.1 Family Radio on site
- Bike decorating station (crafts and washable paint for bikes) run by Trend-Arlington Community Association (TACA)
- Fundraiser BBQ featuring hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and drinks where every dollar goes to FAMSAC.
- White Pine Cafe is open in our church building. You can purchase coffee, tea, cookies and other baked goods, ice cream sandwiches, and popsicles with every dollar going to FAMSAC.
- FAMSAC booth to learn more about what they do and why it's so important to our community. FAMSAC will also be accepting food donations if you would like to donate in that way.
- Free bike tune-up booth for kids headed up by Re-Cycles featuring helmet fitting, adjusting seat height and tire air pressure, and installing FREE bells to children who need one (while supplies last) courtesy of Cycling Ottawa and SportChek.
- Used bike donations drop-off. At the Bike Rodeo, Re-Cycles will be accepting all bike donations in any condition. If you have an old bike gathering dust (or rust) drop it off! Re-Cycles is a non-profit business that operates downtown, educating people on how to fix their own bikes by restoring old bikes to sell. They also restore and donate bikes to underprivledged kids through Ottawa Public Housing's "Hop on Bikes" program.
- Ottawa Public Health will have a booth and will be giving out free masks and free rapid test kits.
- Councillor Keith Egli will have a booth and will be giving out some freebies from Safer Roads Ottawa!
Enter our draw to win at the Bike Rodeo:
At the event, kids can enter to win one of two bikes or a package of four football tickets! Drop by the info table to enter!
Families can enter once in each draw. Only one giveaway winner per family. No exchanges can be made. Enter your child for the bike size that works for them. The bike they enter for is the one they have a chance to take home. We will have the bikes on display at the info table.
1. A 16" Nakamura Crossfire (orange). Best suited for 4-6 year olds.
2. A Nakamura Juvy 20" 6-Speed Mountain Bike (Blue). Best suited for 6-8 year olds.
3. A package of 4 tickets to see the Ottawa Red Blacks play against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Friday, June 17th at 7:30pm.
About this year's fundraiser:
While, the Bike Rodeo is meant to be a fun event for kids and families in our community, we also use this opportunity to support some kind of community need or helping organization.
This year, we are raising funds to support FAMSAC who provides emergency food to people in Nepean. Every single dollar spent on the BBQ, Café, or by purchasing animal feed at the petting zoo will go to FAMSAC.
BBQ Prices (cash or tap payment):
$7 Hamburger Combo (Hamburger, Chips, Drink)
$5 Hotdog Combo (Hotdog, Chips Drink)
Additional Pricing: $5 Burger, $3 Hotdog, $1 for chips or drink
CAFÉ Prices (cash or tap payment):
$2- Coffee (Fair Trade, Equator)
$1.50- Tea, Hot Chocolate, French Vanilla Cappuchino,
$1- Treats and Snacks (Popsicles, Ice Cream Sandwiches, Brownies, Cookies, Goldfish Crackers, Go Go Squeeze)
New this year, we have secure tap payment available at the BBQ and Café! (To minimize costs related to tap use, we recommend that if the order is less than $4 to use a credit card, but if it's greater than $4 to use debit. Apple Pay and Google Pay is also available). Charitable receipts aren't issued for food or café purchases or donations made on-site during the event, but if you would like to give a larger donation that is tax receiptable, you can do so directly through FAMSAC here.
In the past, we've raised thousands of dollars at each event. For example, in 2019, we raised $3786.70 in 2019 to fund post-tornado revitalization initiatives in our neighbourhood and at Knoxdale Public School. This included yard cleanup, providing flowers for properties, supporting the free tree stump removal by Samaritan's Purse, and helping to rebuild the nature centre at Knoxdale Public School.
We've had a little bit of experience with rain in the past. :) Our plan is that the event will continue rain or shine, but in the event of a torrential downpour or a bad forecast, we will change the event to be an indoor fun fair. And yes-- the inflatable obstacle course can fit in our gym!