Thank you to everyone who made this year’s Bike Rodeo such a great success! Together we raised $3234.50 for the Ottawa Network For Education (ONFE) School Breakfast Program!
JOIN US FOR OUR 11TH ANNUAL COMMUNITY BIKE RODEO!
The Arlington Woods Community Bike Rodeo is coming up on Saturday, May 13, 2023 from 11am-3pm in the parking lot of Arlington Woods Church (225 McClellan Road). This event is brought to you by Arlington Woods Church and Trend-Arlington Community Association!
This year will be the 11th Bike Rodeo we've held in our community! There are no admission prices for this fun, outdoor, family event! All activities are free with the exception of the CHARITY BBQ (burgers, hot dogs, chips, pop) and CAFÉ (coffee, tea, treats) where EVERY DOLLAR goes to support the ONFE School Breakfast Program in Ottawa Schools! Like last year, there will be secure tap payment available to make things quick and convenient.
Is there parking? There is no parking on-site, as we are encouraging people to walk or bike in. There are plently of places on side-streets where parking is available though.
Let your friends and neighbours know! It's going to be a blast! Kids, bring your bikes!
If you would be interested in volunteering at this great community event, please contact Ben at email@example.com.
This year's Bike Rodeo will feature:
(Stay tuned! We'll be adding more features as we get closer to the event date!)
- Huge inflatable obstacle course and an inflatable slide from Circus Delights!
- Petting Zoo from Sugar Hill Farm. Last year it was such a big hit that we're bringing the animals back! (Food for animals can be purchased food for $2/cup (or $5 for 3 cups) to feed the animals. 20% of the food cost will go to support the ONFE School Breakfast Program)
- Step inside emergency vehicles and get to know our first responders! We have an Ottawa Fire truck coming from 1-2pm (unless an emergency happens).
- Bike safety road course for kids includes a slalom (winding course), practicing hand signals, and following road signs with Cycling Ottawa.
- Bike obstacle course for older kids with ramps and inclines brought to you by TACA
- Face-painting booth
- Popcorn booth
- Free bike tune-up booth for kids featuring helmet fitting, adjusting seat height and tire air pressure, and installing FREE bells to children who need one (while supplies last).
- CHRI 99.1 Family Radio on site
- Bike decorating station (crafts and washable paint for bikes)
- Fundraiser BBQ featuring hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and drinks where every dollar goes to supprt the ONFE School Breakfast Program.
- The White Pine Cafe is open in our church building. You can purchase coffee, tea, cookies and other treats where every dollar goes to support the ONFE School Breakfast Program.
- Ottawa Public Health
- Councillor Sean Devine
- Ottawa Network For Education (ONFE) will have a booth where you can learn more about their Breakfast Program and how it benefits kids and families in our community.
- NEW! Unsupervised indoor play area for babies and toddlers brought to you by The Mother Tree.
- Draw to win one of two kids bikes! A 16" Kids bike and a 20" Junior Bike! See below for more information.
- Surprise Candy Bags booth ($2 for 1 bag, $3 for 2 bags! All money goes to the support the ONFE School Breakfast Program)
About this year's fundraiser:
While, the Bike Rodeo is meant to be a fun event for kids and families in our community, we also use this opportunity to support a community need or helping organization. This year, we're supporting the School Breakfast Program through the Ottawa Network for Education (ONFE)!
The ONFE School Breakfast program serves over 14,500 meals each day to students in nearly 200 schools from all four school boards in Ottawa! Several of our local schools benefit from this program as well! CBC Ottawa recently highlighted ONFE's program and the greater need families and students are experiencing due to food prices. Every single dollar spent on the BBQ or Café will go to support this program and help kids and families in need!
Charitable receipts aren't issued for food or café purchases or donations made on-site during the event. If you would like to donate directly to ONFE to receive a charitable receipt, you can do so here.
The Bike Rodeo has a long history of giving back and helping others, raising thousands of dollars! In 2022, we raised $2722 to support FAMSAC who provides emergency food for people in our community. In 2019, we raised $3786.70 to fund post-tornado revitalization initiatives in our neighbourhood and at Knoxdale Public School. This included yard cleanup, providing flowers for properties, supporting the free tree stump removal by Samaritan's Purse, and helping to rebuild the nature centre at Knoxdale Public School. In 2018, we raised $1893.35 to rebuild the playground and nature centre at Knoxdale Public School.
Once again, we have secure tap payment available at the BBQ and Café! (To minimize costs related to tap use, we recommend that if the order is less than $4 to use a credit card, but if it's greater than $4 to use debit. Apple Pay and Google Pay is also available).
BBQ Prices (cash or tap payment):
$7 Hamburger Combo (1/4 pound Costco Hamburger, Chips, Drink)
$5 Hotdog Combo (Hotdog, Chips Drink)
Additional Pricing: $5 Burger, $3 Hotdog, $1 for chips or drink (pop, juice, water)
CAFÉ Prices (cash or tap payment):
$2- Hot Drinks (Fair Trade Equator Coffee, Regular or Decaf, Tea, Hot Chocolate)
$2- Muffins, Biscuits, Gluten Free Squares
$1- Cookies, Rice Crispies Squares, Ice Cream Sandwiches
Enter to win one of two bikes at this year's Bike Rodeo!
Visit the Information table to enter to win either a 20" Junior Bike or a 16" Kids Bike!
No exchanges can be made. The bike they enter for is the bike they take home.
Only one entry for each bike per family. Winner of one draw can't win the other.
We'll announce the winners at the CHRI booth at approximately 1:30pm and 2:30pm.
We've had a little bit of experience with rain in the past. :) Our plan is that the event will continue rain or shine, but in the event of a torrential downpour or a bad forecast, we will change the event to be an indoor fun fair. And yes-- the inflatable obstacle course can fit in our gym!